Thursday, April 8, 2010

Circle of Life

by: Ruby Anne E. Sison

Have you ever had one significant experience that left you thinking about the more important things in your life? I had one of those unexpected moments just recently.

One ordinary evening, I was at home with my sisters watching one of my favorite cartoon movies, “The Lion King”. As some of you may have already seen the movie, the main character, Simba, learned a very important lesson from his father, Mufasa, about respecting every life in their kingdom. Every creature is considered valuable and plays a vital role in what his father called, “the circle of life”.

Recent events in my life and my family’s left me thinking about how valuable life is and how death, which is so natural and part of life, seem to have a great impact on one’s life. It even leaves you wondering if life could still go on after losing a loved one. Early this year, I lost my grandmother. The first thing that came to my mind was how we would go on without her. Was it even possible to go on with our lives and recover from the pain of losing her? I had never experienced losing somebody really close to me before so I didn’t know what to think. The only reality that I could see at that time was that I would no longer be able to see my grandma anymore. I felt really sad.

But life does go on, whether we like it or not, and one day we will find ourselves smiling again. I guess the fact that life is fleeting only makes it more valuable and precious. Last December, my sister gave birth to her first baby boy. Even though we went through a tragic loss, there was also another addition to the family. There is also life, just as there is death. Life is a celebration and a most extraordinary gift. Every life is connected and the things we do or not do can indeed affect not just ourselves but others as well. We should all play our roles as best as we can in this circle of life to preserve this planet and to preserve life itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment